SANS and DCMS announce free Upskill in Cyber Programme
There is currently a significant shortage of skilled cyber security professionals across the UK. The Upskill in Cyber programme, which will run from 4th July to 9th September 2022, is designed specifically for those new to cyber security. We are looking for the next generation of cyber security professionals. This fully funded programme will equip you with the necessary tools, knowledge, and skills to immediately begin a career in cyber security.
You will undertake two free SANS training courses, receive soft skills development, and have opportunities to network with potential employers. Successful graduates will complete the programme with two industry recognised certifications - GFACT and GSEC.
Why apply to Upskill in Cyber?
If you have an interest in IT or IT security, or are looking for something rewarding and challenging, Upskill in Cyber could be for you.
Due to a significant lack of skilled and trained practitioners, cyber security is currently a very in-demand profession, offering vital work, excellent earning potential and stable career paths with flexible opportunities across multiple industries.
Upskill in Cyber is fully funded by HM Government and is delivered at no cost to candidates. The programme is aimed at encouraging new talent into the cyber security sector, by providing the necessary experience and training to embark on a successful security career.
* Please read the application criteria under the Eligibility Criteria section.
What Upskill in Cyber delivers
The fully funded programme will ensure you have a solid grasp of technology and computing fundamentals, skills that many of today’s practitioners often lack. You will also be introduced to more advanced material, gaining hands-on experience in finding vulnerabilities and intrusions, based on real-life incidents.
Successful graduates of Upskill in Cyber would be suitable for a junior role in a security advisory team, incident response, or a security operations centre analyst role, where the average starting salary for an entry level role is £35k.
Your development and progress is monitored throughout the programme. We make this information available to our partner employers, along with our recommendations on role alignment and areas of strengths. This report, combined with aptitude results and incremental assessments, will be an extremely helpful asset in placing you into a new role.
Examination and Certification
As a graduate of Upskill in Cyber, you will leave with two certifications that demonstrate your practical capabilities and knowledge: GIAC Foundational Cyber Security Technologies (GFACT) and GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC).
• GFACT certifies that an individual has developed hands-on skills through labs in areas such as Linux, encryption, and programming, as well as gained essential knowledge in areas such as networking, computer hardware, virtualisation, Windows, servers, introductory security concepts, and more. Candidates achieving the GFACT are proficient in the core knowledge and practical skills in computers, technology, and security fundamentals needed to kickstart a career in cyber security. GFACT holders are truly ready to contribute on Day 1 of their first job in IT or cyber security.
• Passing this examination demonstrates that students understand defensive technologies, security policy and the major security issues enterprises face. Perhaps more critically it demonstrates that students have mastered security concepts and language, which helps drive a consistent understanding of security across a team within the enterprise. This is the most popular SANS certification and is highly sought after by employers.
Applicants must be:
• Aged 18 and over
• UK Nationals or have resided in the UK for the last 3 years
• Not currently, or have previously been, employed in a cyber security role
• Not currently pursuing or having achieved a professional cyber security related certification
• Not currently pursuing or having achieved a cyber security related course at undergraduate level or beyond
• Able to attend the full 10 weeks 4th July to 9th September 2022 online
• Available for employment following successful graduation
• Willing to engage with potential government and corporate employers introduced to you by SANS
A reliable internet connection is advised.
What is the expected commitment to Upskill in Cyber?
Upskill in Cyber is an intensive, 10-week programme, that will run 4th July to 9th September 2022, consisting of two high-quality training courses and two associated exams. You will be expected to commit 60+ hours of study time to each course, as well as attending soft skills development sessions and employer engagements, some of which will take place during weekday evenings. Upskill in Cyber is a significant time commitment, and you should be aware of the challenges and demands involved before applying.