Software Developer (Wireless and Network Security Product Groups)
The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
The Applied Intelligence business of BAE Systems delivers solutions which help to protect and enhance the connected world. Our solutions combine large scale data exploitation, 'intelligence-grade' security and complex services and solutions integration. We operate in four key domains of expertise: Cyber Security, Financial Crime prevention, Communications Intelligence and Digital Transformation.
Within the Communications Intelligence domain, the Wireless group provides consultancy-led engineering services to national security and defence customers.
Within the Cyber Security domain, the Cross Domain team is responsible for the development of world leading hardware based network security appliances operating at gigabit speeds.
Solving our clients' problems often requires us to produce novel high-performance solutions, comprising of cutting-edge software and hardware technologies.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as software developers in one of our customer-facing project teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work and so this job spec should be read as a guide; training will be provided to support strong applicants in areas of inexperience
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- High performance wireless or network security application design/development in C++ and related languages.
- Developing and deploying software which typically includes low level development (eg real-time software, drivers, embedded software etc.) and requires an understanding of the underlying hardware systems.
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing business development and consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background in Electronic or Software Engineering, Physics or Mathematics (typically with a 2:1 or 1 st class degree)
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless or network security technology, and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality software
- Understanding of low-level computing concepts
- 1+ year experience of C++ development.
- Understanding of radio communication systems and concepts
- Understanding of network security principles and concepts
- Range of other development skills, including one or more of the following: embedded software (C), Java.
- Proven record of successful project delivery
Occasional travel may be required in this role to visit customer sites for demonstrations, installations, handovers or reviews.
An SC level security clearance is required for this role, and candidates should already have, or be capable of obtaining UK SC clearance.
Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please click here.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we're constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we'll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you'll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today's global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Division Overview: UK Services
UK Services delivers IT Services and Consultancy to Applied Intelligence clients based primarily in the UK. We divide our clients into 3 market segments; National Security, Government and Enterprise Services. We differentiate ourselves through recognised expertise in Data, Security, Digital Media and Business Solutions.
Help us secure a connected world by being an unseen hero. Apply now and be inspired.