Cyber Software Engineer
The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
The Operational Software Engineer is familiar with developing highly-assured systems for challenging operating environments. They produce resilient software that provides a high degree of confidence in safe operation on varying target platforms. They manage the design, implementation, and delivery of quality software on time and within budget. The Operational Software Engineer operates with a level of independence and manages their submission of work for review. They recognise opportunities for (and potential risks of) code and component reuse and flag these to design and development leads. They understand the impact of business-area requirements from design down to low-level implementation. At more senior grades, the Operational Software Engineer operates with increasing autonomy, and starts to exhibit system architecture and design, and team leading skills.
Candidates must be eligible to achieve DV Clearance and will be required to begin the application process upon starting the role at the very latest. Please refer to the DBS NSV website for guidance.
What you'll be doing
- Understand various development methodologies, and how they fit in with different delivery approaches.
- Factor operational security requirements into system design, development and testing.
- Conduct, support and encourage constructive code reviews for peers.
- Adopt a pragmatic approach to changing customer requirements and priorities, reporting on the impact and suggesting appropriate aspects to de-scope.
- Embrace emerging technology and language trends, evaluating beneficial emerging tools and championing their adoption and rollout.
- Conduct software development in line with the business and industry best practices.
- Identify risks associated with software development tasks and mitigate and/or escalate as necessary.
- Plan appropriate testing approaches (eg physical/virtual/real-world) and justify them according to the different risk profiles.
- Model and perform analysis on problems and solutions
- Design, code and document software from a logical design.
- Overcome development obstacles to deliver quality code within time and budget constraints.
- Collaborate with team members to integrate developed code seamlessly into the solution.
- Implement continuous integration where appropriate.
- Define and write test scripts and unit, integration and system tests for developed software.
What we're looking for
- Familiarity with of variety of development tools (IDEs, debuggers, source control).
- Principles of high-assurance development.
- Development techniques such as unit testing, mocking, continuous integration, and test-driven development.
- Understanding of how the specific customer domain affects the software under development.
- Awareness of IT security as a major issue for companies and governments.
- Intermediate/advanced understanding of how computers work (eg stack/heap distinction, compiled/interpreted languages).
- Proficient with at least 1 "solution" language (eg C++, Java, C#).
- Able to use and configure more than one major operating system (eg Windows, OSX, Linux, FreeBSD)
- Able to pick up new languages easily.
- Operational developers are expected to have a high degree of flexibility.
- Communicating technical concerns with a non-technical audience.
- Innovative problem solving
- Team working.
- Team leadership.
- Visual Studio
- Win32 API
- Mobile development
Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please click here.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we're constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we'll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you'll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today's global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Division Overview: UK Services
UK Services delivers IT Services and Consultancy to Applied Intelligence clients based primarily in the UK. We divide our clients into 3 market segments; National Security, Government and Enterprise Services. We differentiate ourselves through recognised expertise in Data, Security, Digital Media and Business Solutions.
Help us secure a connected world by being an unseen hero. Apply now and be inspired.