Principal Software Engineer
***Recruitment Open Day Thursday 21st February 2019- Jurys Inn Cheltenham***
Lead/Principle Software Engineer
Location: South West
Summary of role
A fantastic opportunity to join Raytheon UK in our brand new Cyber Centre based in Gloucester. We develop software using a variety of Agile methodologies and you will be involved fully in the software development lifecycle, working closely with the entire team in a truly Agile environment. Working for Raytheon you will be part of a growing team, working alongside world class partner organisations. Raytheon supports on-going professional development through both formal and on-the-job training to help you further develop your career and develop your management and leadership potential.
Main duties of the position
Primary Objective: To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems as part of an Agile team.
- Leadership of an Agile Software Delivery Team from both a technical and behavioural perspective.
- Develop a high performing team with a focus on software excellence
- Effective Line Management of the Software Engineers in your team (typically 5-7) including facilitating their personal development.
- Mentoring of team members and colleagues beyond your line management remit.
- Hold accountability for the software produced by your team.
- Own the standards of software engineering practice applied in your team.
- Drive the continuous improvement of practice and code within your team.
- Design and develop new product functionality within the context of an Agile software delivery team.
- Collaborate with your peers on Technical strategy within your teams.
- Extensive experience of applying Design Patterns to complex problems.
- Extensive experience working in an Agile delivery team.
- Considerable experience using Continuous Integration.
- Significant experience using TDD.
- Significant experience using BDD.
- Comprehensive understanding of SOLID.
- Experience of applying Software Architecture Patterns.
- Experience designing and building enterprise level web applications, services or embedded software.
- Good working knowledge of at least 2 compiled languages.
- Good working knowledge of at least 2 scripting or interpreted languages.
- Familiarity with Data gathering, visualisation techniques and tools.
- Familiarity with structured and unstructured storage of Data.
- Understanding of virtualisation.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment.
- Experience working with infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies.
- Experience working with cloud technologies and distributed systems.
- Experience working with containerisation.
- Experience working on military or government projects.
- Experience working with secure development techniques.
- Knowledge of information security best practice.
- Good interpersonal skills for customer and partner liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester, Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. http://www.raytheon.com/Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
· 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
· Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
· 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
· Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
· Enhanced sick pay scheme
· Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
· 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
· Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites with free snacks & drinks (hot & cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel, Reservist Network etc and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.
Raytheon Application Process
To apply visit the link to the website and search for Req ID:123849BR. Please complete the on-line instructions to create a profile and upload CV.
We are looking for software engineers, with professional experience. Hands on experience in an Agile delivery team using industry best of breed technology and techniques within a digital focused organisation.
About Raytheon Cyber Security…
Raytheon has decades of experience in cyber, information operations and information assurance to successfully protect our global customers’ critical infrastructure from the most complex threats. Increasing demand for our capabilities led to the establishment of our Cyber Innovation Centre in Gloucestershire, which has grown rapidly since opening in late 2014. This has created a broad spectrum of roles to support our customers in developing solutions for cyber security, research and mission support both technical and non-technical.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are looking for something different from their career and who are demanding of themselves and others around them to achieve success. Raytheon's ambition is to provide an environment that is more silicon valley than security and defence. We want to encourage individual innovation and progression that is both exciting and rewarding, avoiding the dull 'beige' of the standard information security companies.
If you are looking for a role and a team that will challenge you to achieve success for our customers then providing you have the skills and the ability to achieve Government clearance we want to hear from you today.