The Cloud environments are fundamental to the success of IT projects and as an IT business we are here to create most secure, high capability IT environments in a repetitive fashion. The Cloud Architect role is to define and architect the functional blocks of Cloud Services and build secure, high-performing, resilient, and efficient infrastructure for our business applications and workloads. The role is responsible for delivering environments for our globally-distributed business teams and ensuring that cloud platforms are continually developed to meet the evolving needs of the business and capabilities of the platform; also to improve the experience for users to access cloud resources and core services of IT Infrastructure.
This is a key role in Cloud Product team and working closely with the Product Owner, the Cloud Architect will work across all use-cases defined by the Product Owner and work with architects in other squads/technology areas to ensure that the services are well architected. Whilst technology-delivery is core of the role, so too is the appreciation of how we enable the business and service availability.
- Support the Product Owner in the definition of Sprints and User Stories, in order to meet company demands of the platform
- Define and document cloud architecture (baseline, target, roadmap, standards, reference architectures, etc), supporting a wide range of use cases. Run architectural reviews of the platform at appropriate intervals to take best advantage of vendor technologies
- Pro-actively define, optimise, automate, publish and communicate deployment patterns, for both centrally managed environments and business managed environments.
- Take on the technical lead role in ADHOC work, including cloud migrations and holistic design work, where patterns are not appropriate
- Maintain the Platform risk log
- Support engineering teams in optimising the platform
- Escalation point for engineering teams in troubleshooting and incident management
- Driving the adoption of automation in the platform, using common methods with other platforms
- Work in the community of infrastructure teams, to deliver services using, where possible, common code, standards and artefact format and proactively drive collaborate, particularly where there are service dependencies or hand-offs
- Run internal community events or user groups to evangelise the service, build trust and understand how we can better support platform users
- Provide feedback for other team members.
- Out of hours support on a rota for the infrastructure
- Experience in Enterprise Architecture, Cloud Platform Architecture, defining cloud reference Architectures and Cloud Patterns.
- At least 5 years of experience in a Hybrid, Multi-Cloud environment using AWS, Azure, GCP and VMWare.
- Experience in solving complex business issues and regarded as subject matter expert.
- Knowledge of all IaaS and PaaS areas within any major public cloud technology stack.
- Identify a business case and deploy an end to end solution on the finalized cloud technology platform.
- Document HLD/LLD by clearly identifying the components of the platform
- Understanding of directory services (AD and LDAP)
- Very good understanding of networking (Trust/Certificate Management, DNS, Exchange, Firewalls, VPNs, Routing, VLAN, WAN, Trunking , Masks)
- Familiar with DevOps, CI/CD tools and technologies such as Jenkins, Jira, Bitbucket, Microservices, Containers, Ansible and Terraform, etc
- Good knowledge of Windows servers and Linux OS, Anti Virus Management, Patch Management, etc
- Hands-on programming knowledge in any scripting or programming languages preferably as Java/C#, Powershell or Python.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Good understanding of cyber security concepts and the goals of cyber security and why we need cyber security aligning with BAE Systems Digital Intelligence vision and mission.
- Basic knowledge of our line of products in fighting against Financial Crime, Protect Nations & Citizens and defend against Cyber Threats
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Motivating the team to use new tools to improve efficiency and breaking barriers between squads for example, Azure to set new standards.
- Familiar with Information Security Principles and best practices
- Good knowledge of TOGAF (The open group architecture framework)
- Analytical skills
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Taking initiative
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.Division overview: Functions
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and the business could not operate without all the dedicated work of our Functions teams. From Finance & Operations through Communications & Marketing, to HR and Site Operations and more, our Functions teams enable our divisions to implement ground-breaking digital transformations and crucial defence software.
As part of Functions, you will be supporting and partnering with our global business from the backline, being a strategic advisor within your specialist area, and ensuring the business runs smoothly and efficiently. We all have a role to play in defending our clients; and this is yours.