Your new company
University for the Creative Arts has been educating innovators for 160 years and is home to a unique community of creative people using their skills to make the world a better place. Due to the organisation undergoing a large digital transformation, the company are looking to recruit an Applications Support Engineer on a permanent basis, to help lead both business and technical IT Projects.
The role will cover the Southeast region with the Head Office being based in Farnham, Surrey. This role offers possibility of remote working; however, you must be able to commute to campus sites for project meetings when required on either of the Universities four locations: Epsom, Canterbury, Farnham, and Rochester.
We are looking for a motivated, resilient, and flexible Application Support Engineer to provide technical administration, development and support to the University's business applications and digital services, including both premise and cloud hosted platforms. University for the Creative Arts is the second largest provider of creative arts education in the UK and are currently going through a significant transformation to become a global business.Your new role
Working within the Information & Digital Services department as a part of the Digital Services team, this role provides technical administration and support to the Universityâ€™s business applications environments and Digital Services. This role works within a sub-directorate who are accountable and responsible for managing both Digital Services and Security within the University.
The role works in collaboration with other staff, teams, and functions to drive forward the continuous development, management and administration of both on-premise and cloud applications, ensuring greater mobility of systems and service in a global context whilst maintaining confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility.
This role involves carefully balancing of competing demands between application support and development, infrastructure administration, user support and solutions delivery, ensuring that demand is prioritised, and the digital experience is maintained to a high standard.
As the Application Support Engineer, your main responsibilities will be, but not limited to:
What you'll need to succeed
- To provide technical administration, development and support to the University's business applications and digital services, including both premise and cloud hosted platforms.
- Assist with the evaluation, qualification, and implementation of new services, platforms, products, tools, and related cloud services as it pertains to a host of broad applications providing various online services.
- In collaboration with other members of the team, inform and support the development of security processes and technologies to safeguard the Universityâ€™s applications and digital services. Champion Information and Cyber Security awareness for activities, escalating where necessary to ensure the safety of university data, operations, students, and staff.
- Working collaboratively with all colleagues within the Information & Digital Services department, assist with solutions design and delivery, ensuring future developments are compatible with the Universityâ€™s digital estate, providing technical guidance within the design process.
- Work out of hours, on occasion and as required to support and maintain core digital services, whilst ensuring high standards of data protection and security are maintained.
- Identify and support in all aspects of technical and service-related risk to the University, its staff, students, reputation, assets and interests of stakeholders and partners. Assist in the implement of remediation plans, ensuring that risks are mitigated or managed in accordance with agreed tolerances.
We are (ideally) looking for someone who has experience providing 1st/ 2nd line administration, support and development to a wide range of business applications (SQL would be highly advantageous but is not essential). However, the University are also happy to consider anyone from a 1st/ 2nd line service desk/ infrastructure background who has experience supporting Windows, AD, Exchange, O365 etc and can demonstrate an aptitude for learning and passion for their personal development as training will be provided.
You will have knowledge/ some experience of cyber security principals, processes and procedures, able to articulate security best practice and a passion for further developing your skills in this area. You will be working with a diverse range of internal customers, so we are looking for someone with exceptional communication and customer services skills. If you have experience, or exposure within the further or higher educational background, this would be highly advantageous.
You will be self-motivated, driven, and have exceptional organisational skills to manage your own time efficiently.
The post holder must have a strong ability to work under pressure whilst, remaining calm and professional to deliver high standards of service. What you'll get in return
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to take the next step in their Applications career. You will be working alongside a highly experienced team and offered plenty of training. You will also have the option to work remotely. Competitive salary is on offer, reaching Â£35,000 dependant on experience.
Please visit our dedicated recruitment microsite for full details of the Universities benefits package.What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.