As a Business Accountant within the Business Accounting & Controlling team you will support the delivery of timely, accurate and insightful project financial information to business and finance stakeholders. You will support business stakeholders as part of the Business Accounting & Controlling team to ensure that accounting and reporting of project performance is efficient and effective.
This role may be based out of the Guildford or Leeds offices. The role involves hybrid working with the expectation that you may be asked to work from the office for up to two days per weekWhat you'll be doing
- Support the delivery of project accounting financial processes:
- Project set-up - develop good understanding of IFRS15 revenue recognition to support the set-up of new projects and appropriate use of accounting structures to optimise financial information
- Project forecasting - support the financial forecasting process for projects
- Orderbook - support the monthly orderbook reconciliation process and associated analysis of backlog and secured revenue profile
- Project trading - ensure the process for using project forecasts to inform the trading of project revenue and gross margin is followed and support review and validation with business stakeholders
- Reporting and analysis - support the delivery of insightful financial reporting of project performance using the SSR and other reporting mechanisms as appropriate
- Project closure - ensure project housekeeping is performed so that old projects are closed in a timely fashion 0
- Management and Project Accounting - support month-end process to create project and business area P&L, BS and Cash Flow
- Management Reporting - support creation of first draft financial / management reporting for use with business stakeholders
- Budgeting/Forecasting - input historical financials into financial models
- Cash flow and Management - work with OTC team to ensure bills raised in a timely manner; support business stakeholders to drive cash collection
- Financial Control - support reconciliation of order book, project and business area financial reconciliations (e.g. balance sheet, SSR) as appropriate
What we're looking for
- Part-Qualified member professional accounting body (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or looking to actively begin studying towards their qualification.
- Knowledge of IFRS15 revenue recognition criteria.
- Competent using Microsoft Office packages, including Excel.
- Recognises best practice in establishing and applying financial controls.
- Previous experience of project accounting would be beneficial but not essential.
- Previous experience of using SAP and Cognos reporting packages would be beneficial but not essential.
- Some knowledge of the Applied Intelligence and wider BAE Systems mission.
- Some knowledge of the business structure, geographies, customers, products.
- Shares knowledge that is relevant to the role and of benefit to the wider finance team.
- Takes ownership of deliverables to ensure they are completed on time, in full - collaborating with others where necessary.
- Proactively identifies and pursures opportunities for process improvement. Taking the lead on these and collaborating with others.
- Recognises best-in-class finance practices and strives to deliver these.
- Applies creativity and innovation to problem solving.
- Self-starter - takes ownership of deliverables from start to finish.
- Builds strong working relationships with stakeholders in Finance and the wider business. Effective in communicating with non-finance stakeholders.
- Responds to change with positive action.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
Division overview: Functions
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and the business could not operate without all the dedicated work of our Functions teams. From Finance & Operations through Communications & Marketing, to HR and Site Operations and more, our Functions teams enable our divisions to implement ground-breaking digital transformations and crucial defence software.
As part of Functions, you will be supporting and partnering with our global business from the backline, being a strategic advisor within your specialist area, and ensuring the business runs smoothly and efficiently. We all have a role to play in defending our clients; and this is yours.