Senior Application Support Engineer - B3 x 4
Are you interested in supporting digital solutions which provide Social Security benefits in Scotland? We are seeking knowledgeable application support engineers to monitor and maintain the efficiency of our software applications.
The Chief Digital Office (CDO) division within the Social Security Scotland and is responsible for delivering the cloud infrastructure, capability and solutions that will support Social Security Scotland.
The Chief Digital Officer (CDO) division is responsible for delivering the infrastructure, capability and digital solutions that will support the Social Security Programme and ultimately the new Agency. Key focus areas of the CDO Division are:
- Architecture and overall design;
- Technologies and platforms;
- Digital Risk and Cyber Protection;• Operational Delivery and Capability;
- Commercial Arrangements.
The Senior Application Support Engineer is a key member of the Technology and Platform branch and is responsible for maintaining enterprise applications' reliability, performance and security. DDat Pay Supplement
This post attracts a £4,000 Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) pay supplement after a 9 months DDaT competency qualifying period. Pay supplements are temporary payments designed to address recruitment and retention issues caused by market pressures and are subject to regular review. This post is part of the Scottish Government DDaT profession. As a member of the profession you will join the professional development system, currently BCS RoleModelplus. Our reward scheme includes:
Flexible and Hybrid Working
- Salary between £39,659 - £47,485
- Flexible working arrangements with potential of up to 4 days off per month
- You will have an annual leave allowance of 5 weeks, rising to 6 weeks after 4 years. In addition, the Scottish Government observes 11½ days public and privilege holidays, dates of which are set annually
- Learning and development opportunities to support your personal and professional growth
- Contributory Pension Scheme (employee contributions 5.45-7.35% employer contributions 27.9%)
We are currently trialling and implementing a hybrid working approach, where colleagues will be expected to use a mix of office based and remote working (working from home) depending on the requirements of the role.
Home office location can be in either Dundee or Glasgow.Main Duties
This is a technical role with responsibility for the day to day operations of line of business applications that will be used by various benefits and associated systems within Social Security Scotland. The post holder will engage with a range of stakeholders including technical architects, engineers and suppliers as well as end users and business owners.
Beyond application support responsibilities, this position will improve the reliability and availability of key applications within Social Security Scotland. This will be achieved by reviewing the existing digital landscape for issues and opportunities that can be addressed to improve the overall customer experience. In addition, the role will maintain compliance with the organisation's technology/security standards and work with business groups on opportunities, challenges and requirements of surrounding various applications.
To be successful in this post you must have the following experience:
- Serve as technical subject matter expert, responsible for supporting assigned applications.
- Own end-to-end troubleshooting and resolution of incidents/ problems for assigned applications.
- Management and control of incident resolver groups, technology specialists and suppliers to ensure fault resolution according to service level.
- Acquire a deep understanding of the application stack and dependencies on the overall digital estate in order to support root cause determination.
- Working with Information security and suppliers, ensuring application level patching and certifications are maintained proactively, according to policy.
- Performs reviews of assigned applications to ensure effective performance with current and future business demand levels.
- Responsible for researching the application technical stack for issues in order that impede availability and performance
- Promote and own application improvement projects (resulting from research) that cover availability, performance, maintenance or security.
- Support the development and maintain the application roadmap- by gathering feedback from users and collaborating with a range of different areas (such as infrastructure, engineering through to service desk and users).
- Involvement in the hand-over process from project delivery teams and Technical Platform Owners to ensure smooth transition into live support.. You will be part of the review and approval process for establishing the live service design for new and existing application change
- Support formal change request analysis for assigned application.
Demonstrable experience in application support across a complex landscape. Understanding of solution architectures, configuration changes and performance monitoring to provide effective support, resolution and improvement across multiple applications. Exceptional ability to provide front-end support to internal departments. Advanced proficiency in conducting incident root cause analysis and owning incident through to resolution.