Job title: Principal Software EngineerLocation: Manchester or Gloucester
(Hybrid model)Looking for something different in your career? Join Raytheon and make a real difference in the fight against cyber-crime.
You'll be part of a team that embraces Agile working to deliver superior solutions to protect our global customers' critical infrastructures from the most complex cyber threats. Customer security is at stake. So our work is vitally important.
We are always continuing to try to improve our systems with new projects becoming available to work on with cutting-edge tech. You'll be working as a team of specialist developers, testers and analysts to design, develop and maintain critical cyber applications and systems to support government, law enforcement and commercial customers contributing to the development of solutions using the latest technologies.
This is an opportunity to innovate and try new things; to fearlessly challenge and question; to learn and progress in an inclusive and supportive culture; to be rewarded for the vital contribution you make.Summary of the role:
Work as a leading engineer in an Agile software delivery team, involved in deployments across different disciplines to add value to the business areas.Role & Responsibilities:
Candidate Requirements:Essential skills
- Design, build and run code using industry best practice. You will help in defining the evolvement of best practice and in the supporting of estimation activities. You may be asked to assume the role of scrum master and manage sprint ceremonies when required. You will give overall technical direction to the team and arbitrate over design decisions and be able to assume the role of design authority for the particular project.
- Work in a project leadership/ technical lead role. Your decisions will be of significant value and will contribute to the overall success of the project and wider programme.
- Perform first line peer reviews and provide direction and guidance around the review.
- Set the direction and scale of the continuous improvement of practice and code within your team.
- Provide technical direction within your team; you will be able to think strategically to give the reasons for aim and direction.
- Architect solutions to design and develop new product functionality
- Some projects require that the role also includes line management responsibilities although not all. For a role requiring line management responsibilities key responsibilities will include effective line management of Senior Software Engineers (typically 4-6) within your team including.
- Accountable for the software produced by your staff.
- Own the standards of software engineering practice applied in your teams.
Desirable skills of interest
- Significant experience of working in an Agile delivery team and producing and deploying applications in a production environment through a CI/CD pipeline.
- Have previous experience in a technical lead capacity.
- For roles including line management responsibilities previous line management experience of a similar teams of similar size is required
- Experience of developing using Cloud services using either AWS or Azure with relevant professional certification
- Experience building enterprise level web applications or services
- Significant experience of applying Design Patterns to complex problems and architecting solutions.
- Docker / Kubernetes / GoLang containerisation and orchestration (developer)
- Scrum Master qualification or equivalent experience.
- Infrastructure as code (e.g Terraform)
- Software application development utilizing RDBMS (e.g. Oracle/MySQL) and/or unstructured persistence layers, (e.g. ElasticSearch)
- Puppet / Chef / Jenkins / CI pipelines
- Apache KAFKA
- Experience of applying Software Architecture Patterns.
- Infrastructure as code technologies and cloud technologies and distributed systems
- Big Data technologies
- Python (cyber)
About Raytheon UK
- Good interpersonal skills for customer and partner liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
With facilities in Broughton, Waddington, Glenrothes, Harlow, Gloucester, Manchester with presence across other customer sites also. Raytheon UK is invested in the British workforce and the development of UK technology. Across the country Raytheon UK employs 1,700 people and supports 8,000 jobs. As a prime contractor and major supplier to the U.K. Ministry of Defence, Raytheon continues to invest in research and development, supporting innovation and technological advances across its core mission areas Weapons & Sensors, and Cyber, Space & Training.
The Cyber, Space & Training business, consists of four mission areas: National Security Cyber; Space & Airborne; Command, Control, Computers & Intelligence (C4I); and Training. Cyber, Space & Training provides our customers unrivalled technical and training services spanning all domains across a wide range of customers.
Raytheon UK is a landed company, part of the Raytheon Technologies organisation and sits within the Raytheon Intelligence & Space businessAbout Raytheon Technologies
Raytheon Technologies Corporation is an aerospace and defence company that provides advanced systems and services for commercial, military and government customers worldwide. It comprises four industry-leading businesses - Collins Aerospace Systems, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon Intelligence & Space and Raytheon Missiles & Defence. Its 195,000 employees enable the company to operate at the edge of known science as they imagine and deliver solutions that push the boundaries in quantum physics, electric propulsion, directed energy, hypersonics, avionics and cyber security. The company, formed in 2020 through the combination of Raytheon Company and the United Technologies Corporation aerospace businesses, is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.Standard Benefits:
- 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary 'Life Assurance'
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme's.
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements).
- Flexible working arrangements can be considered wherever we can (depending on the role) so please enquire or highlight any request to our Recruitment team to explore flexible working possibilities .
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites and Manchester & Gloucester offer free snacks & drinks (hot & cold).
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.
Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, RayBAME, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), Raytheon Reservist Network (RaRe), Raytheon Alliance for Diverse Abilities (RADA), RayPride and all work together with our Diversity & Inclusion council, and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.
As a proud contributor to the HM Armed Forces, Raytheon UK signed the HM Armed Forces covenant in 2014. Due to the varied activities and support to our Armed Forces & Reservists, Raytheon UK has since been awarded the prestigious Covenant 'Gold Award' Employee Recognition.
Raytheon UK recognise that our people are the critical factor in our success, and we strive to provide a challenging and rewarding careers.Security
All successful applicants must be eligible & willing to obtain a SC clearance with the view to progressing to DV level which would be sponsored by Raytheon UK. For further information on the criteria to obtain this please visit - https://www.gov.uk/security-vetting-and-clearance .