Data ArchitectLocations: Winnersh Summary of Role:
Raytheon UK are part of Raytheon Technologies, one of the largest aerospace, intelligence services providers, and defence manufacturers in the world. We are seeking to expand our Defence development team which is focussed on the development and integration of strategic intelligence systems for the UK Defence market. These systems address a diverse range of military intelligence and planning needs, and focus on information integration, processing, and visualisation in a geospatial context.
The Data Architect (DA) will serve within the Information Exploitation section of the C4I business unit. The role requires a versatile individual who can make effective and highly valued contributions to activities across the project lifecycle in Intelligence and Security, Geospatial Intelligence, and deployed IT environments. The candidate is expected to be capable of operating in a senior technical role working closely with customer and delivery teams; alone and unsupervised if necessary.
Working within Bid or Delivery teams and reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) & Programme Engineering Manager the successful candidate will be capable of aligning the business strategy and plans with technology and solutions that support the strategy. The DA needs to be able to talk to both technical experts and wider organisational stakeholders, applying a holistic approach to create solutions that will help the Organisation achieve its goals. The candidate must be a team player who is prepared to lead from the front and work with a multi-national engineering team and the customer community.Main Duties:
Candidate Requirements:Essential skills
- Design innovative data models and metadata systems to interpret and enhance business needs
- Provide oversight and advice to other architects, undertaking the design of data models and support the management of data dictionaries
- Work to the standards set for the organisation by the Lead Architect (LA)
- Work with multi-disciplined technical architects to make sure that systems are designed in accordance with the appropriate data architecture
- Applying data design principles to develop data architectures
- Identifying data sources, both internal and external, defining a plan for data management that is aligned to the project's data strategy
- Collaborate within a cross-functional team, stakeholders, and customers to enable the smooth functioning of the data system
- Manage end to end data architecture, from platform definition, designing the technical architecture, and developing the application to finally testing and implementing the proposed solution
- Planning, execution, and maintenance of big data solutions, using technologies such as Hadoop and Elasticsearch
- Defining and managing the data flow and dissemination of information within the agreed framework
- Integrating technical functionality, ensuring data accessibility, accuracy, and security
- Maintain and review data management performance, applying continuous improvement activities to address issue and improve efficiency and effectiveness of the system
- Assisting other architects in peer reviews
- Evaluating and assessing risk as part of application and system lifecycle management
- Staying current with data technologies and making recommendations for use, based on business value
Desirable skills of interest
- Able to articulate and solve complex problems and concepts, by interrogating and using data or intelligence to formulate and influence plans
- Able to interpret complex business and technical issues and identify and recognise a viable solution or control
- Capable of understanding and linking complex and diverse sets of information to inform the response and approach
- Able to undertake data profiling and source system analysis. Present clear insights within the architecture team to support the end use of the data
- Understands the appropriate mediums to communicate findings, shaping communications for the audience
- Expert in defining data governance and able to take responsibility for collaborating and supporting in wider governance.
- Knows how to assure and integrate data services to meet the demanding needs of the project with multiple key stakeholders
- Experienced in understanding the impact emerging trends on the systems in data tools, analysis techniques and data usage
- Strong understanding of industry recognised data modelling concepts and principles of data modelling across multiple domains and how to apply them
- Experienced in design, implementation, and maintenance of metadata repositories
- Expert understanding and can apply data modelling concepts to a technical level, at the highest levels of risk complexity. Effectively translate and accurately communicate data strategies and risk implications at the most senior levels across diverse technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong management of stakeholders' expectations across high-risk and complexity or under constrained timescales
- Lead design and review solutions to complex problems with the architecture team by defining and challenging patterns and principles
- Apply risk methodologies at the most complex levels of risk
- Experience of producing and supporting bids
- Broad understanding of Cloud hosting and Cloud architectures for one or more major Cloud providers
- Familiarity with one or more data modelling tools
- Experience in, or knowledge of, DevSecOps Tooling and Processes
- Strong strategic business acumen and understanding of business strategy and the ability to identify Solutions to deliver that strategy
- Self-starter with the ability to appropriately prioritise and plan complex work in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong critical thinker with problem solving aptitude
- A working knowledge of MoD or Government IT Security environments and requirements at various classifications including SECRET and above.
- Holder of current SC clearance, or the ability to gain
- Ability to manage and control the expectations of a diverse set of stakeholders
- Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture methodologies such as TOGAF and MODAF or the equivalent
- Knowledge of GEOINT and SIGINT, ACINT, MASINT, OSINT, HUMINT and the analysis of the data and information
About Raytheon UK
- Strong Leadership skills with a desire to succeed
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build strong relationships with diverse audiences, including customers and peers. Able to influence multidiscipline teams
- Able to facilitate problem solving of complex issues across business units and organisational boundaries, and
- Ability to rapidly assimilate information, culture, and process to bring maximum effect in a short space of time.
- Good time management, organisation, and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
With facilities in Broughton, Waddington, Glenrothes, Harlow, Gloucester, Manchester and a presence across customer sites together with remote working practices. Raytheon UK is invested in the British workforce and the development of UK technology. Across the country Raytheon UK employs over 2,000 people and supports 8,000 jobs. As a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence, Raytheon continues to invest in research and development, supporting innovation and technological advances across its core mission areas Weapons & Sensors, and Cyber, Space & Training.
Raytheon UK is a landed company, part of the Raytheon Technologies organisation and sits within the Raytheon Intelligence & Space business.About Raytheon Technologies
Raytheon Technologies Corporation is an aerospace and defence company that provides advanced systems and services for commercial, military and government customers worldwide. It comprises four industry-leading businesses - Collins Aerospace Systems, Pratt & Whitney, Raytheon Intelligence & Space and Raytheon Missiles & Defence. It's 195,000 employees enable the company to operate at the edge of known science as they imagine and deliver solutions that push the boundaries in quantum physics, electric propulsion, directed energy, hypersonics, avionics and cyber security. The company, formed in 2020 through the combination of Raytheon Company and the United Technologies Corporation aerospace businesses, is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.Standard Benefits:
- 25 days holiday (increasing to 27 days) + statutory public holidays.
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution).
- 6 times salary 'Life Assurance'.
- Flexible Benefits scheme.
- Discretionary Bonus scheme.
- Enhanced family friendly policies.
- 37hr standard working week, with an early finish on Fridays whilst operating a 'Hybrid Working Model'*
- Canteen facilities are available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites. Manchester & Gloucester offer free snacks & drinks (hot & cold).
* Our Hybrid Working Model supports flexible working arrangements on a formal or informal arrangement, considering both location and/or working hours, subject to business and customer needs. Please highlight any flexible requirements to our Recruitment team to explore the opportunities. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
At Raytheon UK, we're committed to be building a workforce that represents the true diversity of Britain where all of our colleagues feel enabled to deliver the best work of their lives. We're proud to be an equal opportunities employer who selects the very best candidates for the job. We truly value the diversity of our workforce work hard to create an inclusive environment where our colleagues can bring the unique skills, experiences and ideas to the table to help us grow our business, create innovative solutions and develop our people.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) act as the eyes and ears into the community they represent and support us in building a truly inclusive business. Our ERGs are open to all colleagues, regardless of background, and include: Raytheon Women's Network, RayPride, Young Employees Success Network, Raytheon Veterans Network, Raytheon Alliance for Diverse Abilities and RayBAME.
We're also delighted to have been recognised as a Gold Award Employer as part of the HM's Armed Forces Covenant and the Human Rights Campaign's 2021 Corporate Equality Index as a 'best place to work for LGBTQ Equality'.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other characteristic.
If you need us to make any adjustments to support you during our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to help.