BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
We develop world-class RF and data systems and we are expanding our teams in areas including space systems and C5ISR with a common requirement for electronic engineering.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from early careers to seasoned professional to deliver these exciting new capabilities.
Our Wireless group provides consultancy-led engineering services to national security and defence customers. Solving our clients' problems often requires us to produce novel high-performance solutions, comprising of cutting-edge software and hardware technologies.What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
You will work with a team of highly-skilled engineers from a range of backgrounds and contributing the design and implementation of electronics systems. We design and deliver high-performance systems, generating interesting and complex electronics design challenges. Whether it's the most sensitive radio receivers, designing for very low SWaP environments or making electronics for the harshest environments, we pride ourselves on our ability to deliver. Depending on your experience level, you might use your skills and experience to lead teams of engineers to design, implement and deliver electronic systems. Or, as an early-years professional, you might develop your electronics skills as part of a dynamic and skilled engineering team, working towards taking on ever-greater project responsibility.
We'd like to hear from people who have experience in some or all of the following areas:
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
- RF: We design RF circuit boards ranging from low power embedded sensors through to high performance systems covering a wide range of bands from VHF through to millimetre wave systems. This development may involve modelling (e.g. using Matlab, Agilent ADS, CST, Spice etc) as well as schematic capture and RF circuit board layout.
- Digital, mixed signal and power: We develop a wide range of boards such as state-of-the art digital signal processing platforms incorporating space hardened FPGAs, SoCs and processors; boards to interface to external sensors and systems (eg optical sensors, electromechanical systems, optical comms lasers, etc) often incorporating high speed data interconnects.
- Mechanical and system integration: We design enclosures to incorporate our PCBs and other subsystems. The designs have to be easily assembled and provide for cooling and protection in challenging environments. This work often involves environmental and compliance testing.
- Systems: Most of our solutions comprise of a blend of hardware, firmware and software. Early in the development lifecycle you will be involved in the design activity responsible for partitioning the functionality in to these domains taking into account the system requirements and constraints.
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Electronics.
- A keen interest in the space or defence sector and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Understanding of the principles of practical electronics and PCB circuit design and layout.
- Ability to fault find and debug problems in a logical and thorough manner.
- Competent in the use of laboratory measurement equipment (eg oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, vector network analysers etc).
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Good inter-personal skills; able to work well in a dynamic, collaborative team.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Understanding of the principles of mechanical design. Experience with 3D CAD would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Experience in the use of software and FPGA development tools and environments, e.g. Python, C/C++, Linux, particularly as needed to support hardware test and debug.
- Experience of designing products for real world use outside a lab.
- Experience of designing products for environmental and compliance testing and knowledge of the relevant standards.
- Experience of test and trials and acceptance testing activities.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.