BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
The Digital Solutions (DS) Team is working to grow the business in hyperscale cloud and working with secure government customers. Our aim is to operate as digital industry partners and mission capability vendors, offering a range of services / products, to enable our customers to be cloud productive from day one!
Our Scrum Masters are responsible for doing anything possible to help the Product Owner and Developers perform at their highest level as a whole Scrum team and support the process to enable the team to successfully deliver. This involves removing any impediments to progress, facilitating meetings, working with the Product Owner to make sure the Product Backlog is in good shape and ready for the next sprint, gathering team level metrics and generally ensuring Scrum is understood and enacted correctly.
Scrum Masters do this by ensuring that the Scrum Team adheres to Scrum theory, practices, and rules. The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren't. The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate previous experience in most, if not all, of these areas:
• A servant Leader - must be able to garner respect from his/her team and be willing to get their hands dirty to get the job done;
• Communicative and social - must be able to communicate well with teams and enable close cooperation across all roles and functions;
• Facilitative - must be able to lead and demonstrate value-add principles to a team;
• Assertive - must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, must be able to be a voice of reason and authority and make the tough calls where needed;
• Situationally aware - must be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to management;
• Enthusiastic - must be high-energy;
• Seeking Continual improvement - must continually be growing ones craft learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team;
• Acting upon conflict resolution - must be able to facilitate discussion and facilitate alternatives or different approaches;
• Promoting team empowerment - encourages & demands self-management from the Scrum team;
• Promoting team transparency - must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about development and grow business trust.
The types of activities you are likely to be involved in are:
• Working closely and diligently with Product Owners and other stakeholders to better understand their requirements or user stories;
• Ensuring the Product Owner defines and maintains the Product Backlog using the I.N.V.E.S.T model;
• Protecting the developers from external and internal distractions;
• Removing impediments so the developers can focus on the work at hand; or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment;
• Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work;
• Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution;
• Helping the team define and adapt the development process
• Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information;
• Taking on administrative, coaching and leadership roles that make Scrum development possible;
• Ensuring that the Scrum process does not impede team progress;
• Acting as a buffer between the team and process overhead, so each team member can focus on shipping working software/products;
• Gathering and processing team metrics and KPI's to support continuous improvement;
• Asking questions of the team constantly and listening to what the team has to say outside of the regular meetings;
• Finding opportunities to celebrate wins - find small wins in projects and communicate them to the wider business - be a champion for your team, build confidence in your team;
• Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving;
• Guiding and coaching the developers, Product Owner and the wider business on better understanding Agile and Scrum practices and values;
• Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we're working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.